Zenfolio | NMOphoto | Jackson S. in Dville

Created 13-Oct-10
Modified 13-Oct-10
Visitors 72
76 photos
Jackson Sanitarium was originally built in 1854 by Nathaniel Bingham to take advantage of the renowned healing waters of the village. His health made him bow out of the project, and it fell through and failed in various hands until Dr. James Caleb Jackson, a life long advocate of hydropathy, took over. Renamed "Our Home on the Hillside," Dr. Jackson also encouraged his patients to eat properly in addition to water treatments. No red meat, sugar, coffee, tea, alcohol, or tobacco were permitted at Our Home on the Hillside; instead, the emphasis was on fruits, vegetables, and unprocessed grain - serving patients Granula. The world's first breakfast cereal was comprised of dense bran nuggets that had to be soaked overnight in order to be chewable. For several decades the manufacture and sale of Granula was a lucrative sideline. Three degrees of separation: Ellen G White visits Jackson Sanitarium - Creates the Seventh Day Adventist religion - John Kellogg was a member of the church.
"John Kellogg was devoted to creating healthy food items for his patients. In 1887, he developed a biscuit made of oats, wheat and corn meal. He called a ground-up version of this biscuit Granula. Word of the great new food item quickly spread. When it reached Dr. Jackson, he considered his own Granula and sued his colleague for infringement on his brand name. A settlement was reached and the name was changed to granola, with an O."
After the Civil War, wealthy people came from miles around to bathe in the medicinal waters that promised to revive their spirits and their health. Our Home on the Hillside was a popular site on the lecture circuit; Frederick Douglass, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Horace Greeley all spoke at the site. Topping the list was Clara Barton, who returned in 1876, physically exhausted from years of non-stop travel and work, to recuperate at Our Home.


Categories & Keywords
Subcategory Detail: